Aberfeldy Golf Club in Perthshire, Scotland
The first nine holes of Aberfeldy Golf Club in Perthshire were laid out in the level floodplain of the River Tay in 1895, making it one of the oldest golf courses in the Scottish highlands. In 1993 plans were adopted to extend the golf course by nine holes, and over the river. In 1995, almost 100 years to the day after the christening of the original nine holes, the 5,283-yard, par-68, 18-hole course opened to members and the public.
The two halves of the golf course are connected by a private suspension bridge across the river, a bridge that is as visually striking in its design as it is unnerving in its bounciness. While the newer holes on the other side of the Tay have a character quite distinct from the original holes, a consistent quirkiness runs throughout the entire Aberfeldy Golf Club track, which is quite typical of parkland golf.
- Course review: Aberfeldy Golf Club
- Golf off the beaten path in Scotland
- Scotland's Whisky/Golf Trail
- St. Andrews Luxury Golf offers the finest in links golf vacations